Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mass Effect 2 versus Mass Effect 1

I've been playing Mass Effect 2 for the last week, and the game certainly deserves all the praise it got. The game mechanics work much better second time around, but what about the story?

The first chapter had all the ingredients of a classic sci-fi space opera and I was lost for many hours trying to fully understand the universe commander Shepard lived in. Bioware did a damn good job in making a truly believable setting for the game.

I replayed the first game again a couple of months ago to prepare myself for Mass Effect 2, so the universe was fresh in my mind when I took my first step on board Normandy SR-2.

I enjoyed Mass Effect 2 immensely, but after I've explored the universe 100% and got all the companions and done their loyalty mission, I can't help to think that the story is a bit of a let down. It roughly follows the same pattern. Do the "find companion" mission, talk to them when they are onboard the Normady, then the "loyalty" mission becomes available, do that and your good to go for the next companion and that's repeated eleven times. The mission themselves are different though and mostly are well done and gives you a good understanding of the companion and the main story arch is good and the side missions is fun...but there isn't enough of it to "break" the pattern and give you the illusion that the story could go anywhere.

Another thing that I miss is the small talk between your companion. In most mission they are silent and when they speak it doesn't really make you feel that they are alive. Dragon Age Origin did a much better job. Alistar and Morrigan being my favorites.

But I still have the suicide mission left to do, so that might change my view on the story and the middle part of a story is by nature difficult to pull off.

What ever happens after I've finish Mass Effect 2, the first and second part of the Mass Effect trilogy will always be some of my most treasured games. A true space opera game of this generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment